About Our School
Southshire Community School is an approved, family-oriented, elementary school (K-8).
Founded in 1987, our goal has been to help children become individuals who possess academic and critical thinking skills; and who value themselves as creative, contributing members of a community; who see themselves as problem solvers; and who love learning. At Southshire Community School, children are:
- Given the freedom to explore their own interests both individually and as a group in a safe environment.
- Allowed to progress at their own pace while holding an expectation of excellence.
- Provided a curriculum which has meaning and context for them.
- Addressed as a whole child: recognizing and working with the physical, intellectual, emotional and social aspects of each child, individually.
Southshire Community School has a long history of maintaining affordable tuition for all families. Financial assistance is available. Southshire Community School admits students regardless of race, religion, ethnic background, or handicap. Southshire Community School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Southshire students study as members of a multi-age community where the curriculum is based on children’s interests and areas of inquiry and is combined with a rigorous, traditional academic program.
Reading and writing are taught through an integrated system of phonics, whole language, individualized attention. Children at Southshire develop a love of reading and write for pleasure and for communication. Math and science concepts are taught through hands-on materials through which children learn to: observe, question, calculate, problem solve.
Children receive rhythm and instrumental music, art and foreign language instruction through partnerships with area professionals. Other enrichment programs include swimming at the Bennington Recreational Park, skiing at Bromley Mountain, skating at Riley Rink and various in house presentations and field trips.
Southshire’s low student/faculty ratio enables students to receive individualized attention.
Each of the experienced faculty members at Southshire possess:
- A background in progressive techniques
- A love of teaching
- A respect for children as learners and as individuals
- A commitment to the families that are part of our community
Southshire Community School was founded by a group of concerned parents and continues to thrive on parental involvement in all aspects of the school.
Parents are encouraged to:
- Contribute their interests and expertise to the classroom
- Join the board of directors
- Participate in community events
- Plan for the success of the school
Southshire Community School serves students from the tri-state area (VT, MA, & NY), and is conveniently located in North Bennington, VT, on the historic Sidney Colvin farm at 24 Bank Street.
The 1850′s farmhouse, barn, and 3 acres of woods and meadow was completely renovated in 1997 and is centrally located within 30 minutes of Hoosick Falls, NY; Cambridge, NY; Arlington, VT; Manchester, VT; Williamstown, MA; and surrounding areas.
Free busing is available for the communities of Hoosick Falls, New York; Cambridge, New York; and surrounding areas.
24 Bank Street
North Bennington, VT 05257