Current Posting – Full-Time K-8 Teacher
Southshire Community School, a Vermont Independent School based in North Bennington, VT, seeks a full-time Teacher for the 2019/2020 school year.
About The Position
The individual in this full-time, permanent position understands and promotes the Southshire Community School’s mission, vision, objectives, and policies both within and outside the immediate school community.
Southshire has a strong philosophical commitment to classroom community. Working together, teachers are expected to develop, implement, and evaluate emergent, thematic curriculum for a specific group of children while interacting with all students and teaching workshops designed to support the skill development or interests of the larger classroom community
This position is responsible for upholding the child-centered approach that supports the individual needs of the student in accordance with the school’s mission and vision. Key job requirements include curriculum development and teaching, collaboration and communication, administrative support, and other duties necessary to the education of the school’s students.
The successful candidate will be:
- comfortable working with children of varied ages, skills, and developmental levels,
- skilled in empowering students’ independent voices, interests, and strengths using progressive educational techniques such as observation and narrative, and emergent curricula,
- able to think and act independently to create learning experiences that support the needs of individual students and the school’s overall mission,
- flexible with an open approach to education that embraces creativity and an ability to think out-of-the-box,
- a lifelong learner who values development of new knowledge and skills,
- a team player who gains energy from multiple perspectives on individual student needs and from feedback through discussion with peers, and
- confident working with a small group of learners in a small school environment.
A relevant college degree or equivalent is required. Ability to pass criminal background check and a valid driver’s license are required.
To apply, please send:
- a cover letter (1 page),
- resume or curriculum vitae,
- a statement of teaching philosophy (1 page),
- curricular samples (optional at time of application, required of finalists), and
- contact information for three (3) professional references (optional at time of application, required of finalists.)
to email@example.com as a PDF attachment.
Southshire Community School does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender, religion, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational, admissions, or employment policies or practices. Applications from diverse candidates are encouraged.
Southshire Community School is a Vermont-approved, progressive, family-oriented elementary school (K-8) which focuses on the individual as a learner. The school is a family-oriented elementary and middle school, approved by the Vermont State Board of Education for grades K-8. The school seeks to help children to become individuals with critical thinking skills, who value themselves and others as creative contributing members of a community, who see themselves as problem solvers, who love learning for its own sake, and who view learning as a lifelong process.
We encourage individuals with aligned skills and goals to send expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org even when we do not have open postings. There are regular opportunities for guest speakers and substitute teachers.