Southshire Community School offers a comprehensive academic program while recognizing and nurturing the unique intellectual, emotional, physical, and social aspects of each child. Students are supported as they progress at their own pace while being held to an expectation of excellence, in a culture of respect.
At Southshire, each child comes to understand that they are valued and highly capable beings. They take this knowledge and self-confidence with them, along with a love of learning, as they move on to other stages of their lives. The strong foundation students build at Southshire empowers them to meet challenges head-on and effect the change they want to see in the world.
The first step in the admissions process is to visit the school. We offer several options:
- Schedule a visit by calling (802) 442-4601. Please ask for a teacher. We’ll set up a time for you to meet with a teacher and take a tour of the school. If you have trouble calling, please email us at email@example.com.
- Visit the school during school hours on one of our drop-in days. Drop-in days are held periodically through the winter and spring, and allow you see the school in action.
- Attend an open house in the evening. Open houses are held periodically through the winter and spring, and provide a chance to meet teachers, students and parents outside of normal school hours.
The next step in the admissions process, once you have visited the school, is to complete our Application for Admission and schedule a day for your child to spend at Southshire. Your child’s visit is a key step in the admissions process. It allows teachers to observe your child in context, and get to know your child as a learner and a social being. During this process, please expect to meet with a teacher to discuss your child.
The Application for Admission includes a $25 non-refundable application fee.
Prerequisites for Admission
As a community school serving grades K-8, Southshire has certain prerequisites for admission. The most important prerequisites are:
- Parents visit the school.
- Parents complete the Application for Admission, and meet with a teacher to discuss their child.
- The child visits the classroom and independently participates in at least one day of school.
Supplemental prerequisites for admission include:
- The child’s needs and abilities are compatible with the composition of the group the child will be joining, and consistent with the school’s capacity to serve it’s students.
- Parents are willing to be active members of the school community. This includes attending parent conferences and work days, cleaning the school, providing snack for the students, and supporting at least two fund raising events or outreach events.
- Parents understand the philosophy and teaching practices of the school.
- The child’s grade is within the range that the school serves, K-8
Information provided by parents as well as the child’s classroom visit all help the Admissions Committee make its determination. The Admissions Committee strives to maintain a balance in the composition of the group while meeting the needs of the individual students.
Southshire Community School does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational, admissions, or employment policies or practices.